Sunday, May 22, 2016

Why I'm here...

Hello, my name is Andrea and I am considering becoming Catholic. The past few days I have been looking for a blog-like account of someones conversion to Catholicism and I haven't really found what I'm looking for so I decided to just do it for myself. Hopefully my journey will be helpful to not only myself but anybody who might be going through the same thing. Plus this is a super easy way to keep everyone updated on what's going on. I am not certain that this journey is going to end in me becoming a Catholic, but I'm at a point in my life/faith where I want to know everything there is to know about it and make an informed decision.

A little background...
I have been a Protestant Christian my entire life. I grew up in a basically-baptist Methodist church, was confirmed and baptized Methodist. In college, the majority of my time has been at an Episcopal church for three years, a charismatic non-denominational (actually a cult) church for awhile before that, and now I am a baptized member of a Cooperative Fellowship Baptist church. I feel like I've been all over the map. So why Catholic? Why now? Well there are a lot of answers to that question. Since high school I've had many spiritual interactions with friends that were Catholic and then in college I started being interested in the liturgy and creeds, and I read several Catholic-leaning books, and I've just come to the point where it feels like I need to take a serious look at the Catholic church and explore whether this is the direction I want to go in.

In this blog I plan to tackle my prejudices with the church, figure out where I stand on theology, reflect on all the books I'm gonna read, and just get as comprehensive an understanding as possible. I am an extremely blunt person who is open and honest (sometimes to a fault) and I will probably get extremely personal and deal with uncomfortable things. The goal is to be as transparent as possible, so as to aid myself in this decision, and hopefully whoever decides to read this as well.

No matter where this leads, I hope to have a better understanding of God, the church, and myself by the end of this process (if one exists). I would love for you to join me in the process, no matter what that means.

Much love,
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment